Sunday, September 11, 2005

From Martina

Hi there,
Guess it's time to start sharing my thoughs. Now that Anni has made this arrangement it's getting serious business (thank you Anni, this was in fact just what I needed). Just like Pernille I first asked myself what my relationship is to this project as I am both a consumer and a producer. What I keep coming back to though is "me; as a maker".
There is a "creative boom" in Sweden right now. People are encouraged to be creative. "Do it yourself! Do redo! It's easy, it's inexpensive! " (Common slogans). Handicraft is popular. People love making stuff. I love making stuff too, and appriciate that handicraft is getting an upswing. But the trend says that the most important thing is to be creative and to create for whatever reason. What you create is of less importance or not important at all. I'm ambivalent towards all of this. It makes me revaluate my own work. I'm a creator and a producer but this creativeness-boom forces me to carefully consider what I put out into a world already stuffed with stuff. So, what can I do?

4 comments:

Anni Jonsson said...

I have to confess that I don't have a clue how to 'justify' the things that I put into this world/on the market... My reasons for creating seem to be quite simpel and entierly selfish:

1. It's fun to create.
2. I need to do it (as it is one of my languages for expressing myself).

And I strongly feel that I have the right to do so... Does it mean that I believe my art is of a great value to the cultural heritage? Hmmm...I find no other answer ;-).

I would realy like to know how the rest of you think about this creating in a world already stuffed with stuff. Somebody ought to have a better answer than this!?

Martina Frejd said...

You don't have to justify the *urge* to create things. But maybe what you put out on the market.. Yes? No?

paula lindblom said...

paula said...
I think it´s enough to create, but I all so think that if you have something to "say", reflecting on/in the world we all are a part of, "we" can learn other people or opend theres eyes...I think if I have a point of wiew of somekind, I can learn other people to thinking my way... A little may be?! I think that jewellery is a shape for this, it´s on the wearer, and other can see it... For me jewellery has the right size, and it shows to many people around us... That´s a good reason I think... So keep on working, with curiosity and power!

Anni Jonsson said...

Hello, me again... Just twisting it a little to see how it sounds: When there is so much *shit* on the market it's your duty to put your creations out there! So keep stuffing the world!!

I don't get where you're going with this, Martina, but I look forward to hear/see more... Did you have any inspiration-photos?